Thursday, October 30, 2008

A parlaiment of owls? Whose idea was this anyway?

From where I sit, I can hear Otis the Western Screech Owl calling from his mew. Made the mistake yesterday of telling him about our experimental seminar and now I think he want in too.

Anyhow, Kudos to Jenny for getting us off to a good start! Here's what I think about "Ecotonality."

Thanks to the last two sentences on page 4, it does feel a bit like a "journal entry" to me too. A good one by any measure, but still I say cut the phony ending and give us another fifty pages on tension. Maybe it's just because I'm in a similar place myself, but the exploration of the Cascade ecotone as a metaphor for being an itinerant 20-something (or is it the other way around?) seems like a worthwhile pursuit. Now I want to know what the counterpart of biodiversity is and looks like in Jenny Gilbert's life.

Some of my favorite lines: "These trees were so normal it didn't even occur to me to know their names." - made me think about how, as a kid, I could navigate anywhere I wanted to go in town by landmarks and it wasn't until driver's ed. that I bothered to learn street names.

"Just as the sun cleared the horizon its rays hit the base of the tree and the yellow light reflecting off the red trunk illuminated the whole yard as if by a campfire." -
Lovely

"...the mountains are cloaked in dark green Douglas-firs, the trees' stiff, pointy tops making the ridges look as if they were cut by pinking shears."- The image is very good and accurate. I couldn't help laughing, though, as I imagined God, the progenitor of all things, (including, of course, arts and crafts) trimming away at creation with the kind of serrated scissors that people like my sister use to give their scrap-books a lil' extra flare.

No comments: